Spicy Peanut Crock-pot Chicken



A new favourite of mine is this spicy chicken recipe. It's easy and would be a great recipe for kids to help with or dare I say complete themselves...



The first time I made this recipe in the slow cooker and cooked it a little longer then directed. Although it turned out tasty the chicken was a bit dry. So the second time I made this recipe on the stove top and it turned out excellent. I'll explain how I did that at the bottom of the post.

Spicy Peanut Chicken

  • 1 cup medium salsa - could use mild or hot depending on your family's preference
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lbs/1 kg) - I used chicken breasts because I had some in my freezer
  • Chopped green onions and chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)

Directions
  • Whisk together salsa, peanut butter, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, gingerroot and curry powder in your slow-cooker pot. 




  •  Place chicken over sauce and flip so both sides are coated. 



  • Cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours or high heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. 
  • Garnish with chopped green onions and chopped peanuts, if desired. 
This recipe is great served with brown rice and your favourite green vegetable.

How to make on the Stove top
  • Same as above I mixed the sauce ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
  • I diced a small onion and chopped up my chicken into about 1 inch cubes
  • In a pan over medium heat and using 1 tbsp of vegetable oil I sauteed the onion and chicken. Until the chicken was no longer pink.
  • I added the sauce to the chicken, covered the pan and reduced the heat to medium-low. I simmer the sauce on the stove for about 20 minutes. 
  • Make sure your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 F. 
  • Serve with brown rice and your favourite green vegetable. 
Shannon RD

Original Recipe from The Looneyspoons Collection (2011) by Janet & Greta Podleski

Comments