Falafels


I have a confession to make – my family does not eat a lot of beans. It’s not for a lack of trying – I do try but I often hear “it’s fine” or “not my favourite” and my husband is convinced it’s not a meal without meat (insert eye roll). 

Unless of course someone else serves us a meal with bean and then my family seems to love it.
So when my brother made us falafels one night for dinner, I was overjoyed and my family discovered a new favourite. Since the spring we have made these regularly and we hope that you enjoy them too.

Falafels

  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 3 tbsp fresh cilantro and parsley
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tsp mined garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander and chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
Directions
  • Add all ingredients except olive oil to a food processor and pulse until mixture is the consistency of very thick cookie dough.
  • Refrigerate for 1 hour so mixture will firm up. 



  • Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Scoop about 2-3 tbsp of "dough" per falafel patty into the pan and gently flatten with a spatula. 
  • Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. 


  • Serve warm in a wrap with cucumbers, tomatoes and feta cheese.


Enjoy!
Shannon RD

Recipe adapted from The Looneyspoons Collection (2011) by Janet & Greta Podleski

Comments